Throughout his career, Richard McLellan has accepted a wide range of government service assignments from the Governor, Supreme Court, Legislature and local governments.
By appointment of the Legislature, McLellan has served more than 20 years as a member or Chair of the Michigan Law Revision Commission which is charged to
Examine the…statutes of this state…for the purpose of discovering defects and anachronisms in the law and recommending needed reforms [and] (r)ecommend changes in the law it considers necessary in order to …bring the law of this state into harmony with modern conditions.
He presently serves as the unpaid Special Counsel to the Chair of the Appropriations Committee of the Michigan House of Representatives. He is a member of the Supreme Court’s Underground Economy Task Force by appointment of Justice Maura Corrigan.
McLellan has been appointed by the Governor of Michigan to the following positions:
- Chair, Michigan Film Advisory Commission
- Chairman, Michigan Corrections Commission
- Designated as an Emergency Interim Successor to the Governor (1991-2002)
- Governor's Representative, Upper Great Lakes Regional Economic Development Commission
- Member, Governor's Victimless Crimes Task Force
- Member, Michigan Jobs Commission
- Member, Michigan Export Development Authority
- Member, Michigan International Trade Authority
- Member, McPherson Commission On Charter Schools
- Acting Director, Michigan Office of Drug Abuse
- Chairman, Qualifications Review Committee for federal judges and U.S. attorneys for the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Western District and the Eastern District of Michigan
At the request of the Senate Majority Leader, McLellan helped establish and served for 10 years as Chair of the Library of Michigan Foundation supporting Michigan’s state library and statewide library and literacy programs. At the request of Governor John Engler, McLellan established and served as President of the Michigan-Japan Foundation to provide private support to the Japan Center for Michigan Universities.
During the administration of President Gerald Ford, McLellan served as an advisor to the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration as a member of the National Advisory Food and Drug Committee of the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
McLellan has been named by Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero as a member of both the Mayor's Regionalization Initiative and the Mayor's Council of Economic Advisors.
By nomination of the Secretary of the Air Force, McLellan participated in the Joint Civilian Orientation Conference, U.S. Department of Defense (2007) reviewing U.S. military activities throughout the Pacific Command.
The National Governors Association presents the New Governors’ Seminar for all newly elected governors. McLellan served on the faculty of the Seminar in 2002 advising new governors on the role of transition teams.